FORUM Forums Products CLSE-Yoke CLS-E or CLS-E NG for Flying the 747?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    traffic
    Participant

Hi all

I need a force feedback yoke to fly the 747-400; I have the PSX, PMDG and iFly simulations (with Prepar3d v4). No surprise then that, without spending megabucks, the Brunner CLS-E and CLS-E NG are on the shortlist; from what I’ve read the main difference between them is that the CLS-E has greater force and larger range of movement in the pitch axis compared to the CLS-E NG. What I need to know now is, is the CLS-E NG is able to replicate the feel and forces of the 747 or is the CLS-E the better option?

I’m not after a super heavy feel just something that replicates approximately the feel and level of force of the 747. I’ve been using the Warthog joystick and the spring is way too stiff making it difficult to control it smoothly. Although the 747 controls are heavy they are designed to allow the a/c to be flown using small corrections, whilst reminding you that you’re flying a 200-400 tonne beast!

Is the extra level of force that you get with the CLS-E required to simulate non-normal situations such as Loss of Hydraulics?

Many thanks

Robbie

mrscott
    Participant

TRAFFIC, you pose a very fair question. Have you perhaps received a PM on the subject? I’m surprised Brunner has not posted a response. This would be a great opportunity to explain the key differences between to the two products.

piersherbert
    Participant

The design code (CS25) requires a minimum stick force of 222 Newtons to maximum load factor, so neither will replicate the full maneuver envelope for a large aircraft. Also the pitch travel on a Boeing yoke is greater than either. Nevertheless I think the CLS-E would cover most normal flight.

Just read the specs for the new CLS-E Mk II. Compared to the NG, the Mk II costs 58% more but gives 78% more travel and 175% more force. Seems good value to me.

traffic
    Participant

Hey mrscott, I’m surprised too! In fact Brunner sales (Mario) suggested I post here for more information. It would have been very helpful to have had some opinions or feedback from Stefan and owners.

Anyway I’ve taken the plunge and gone for the NEW CLS-E MK II ! The extra travel in pitch, giving smoother control, and extra force in case it’s required for the heavy feel of the 747 were the deciding factors for me. I’ve never been a “launch customer” before 😉 so that will be part of the fun too! Happy days 🙂

traffic
    Participant

Hi Piers

Yes it’s a good launch price. The prices do do up quite steeply as the level of force increases so the CLS-E MK II seems a good place to start. I’m not after the exact feel of the 747 just something that says to you you’re flying something big and heavy (and not FBW!). The heaviness of the 747 makes it quite tiring to hand fly over long periods anyway, which would take some of the fun out of sim flying! Cheers

mrscott
    Participant

Hey Traffic,

I too placed my order on Day 1 for the MKII and Rudder Peddles. Like Piers said, it’s a good value compared to the NG given its specs. According to Stefan, production has started and delivery is 4 to 5 weeks. Can’t wait…wish they were in stock but we will have to wait. I do hope the Peddles will ship immediately as I have none now.

traffic
    Participant

As of yesterday I am the proud new owner of a CLS-E II yoke!! Plugged it in, ran PSX, calibrated the CLS-E II and hey presto: BIG BIG grin on my face!!! I haven’t got a clue how to set it up so it’s nowhere near being ready to simulate realistic movement but even in that state it was a joy to use. It’s just buttery smooth – my days of flying the 747 with the TM HOTAS joystick with my left hand are over!!!

mrscott
    Participant

Hey Traffic,
    This is truely exciting news indeed. My CLS-E MKII and Rudder Peddles arrive today BUT I won’t be there to enjoy them until Sunday night. That’s okay. I am super Impressed that 1) They shipped as promised, and 2) They shipping method they chose is “2 DAY”. Considering the weight of the both boxes 2-Day shipment from Switzerland to Houston is outstanding. They will be signed for by my Security staff and placed in my Condo safely waiting for me when I arrive.

Your initial comment is encouraging. I also encourage you to join us at our DISCORD channel. I have managed to pull together at lest 4 Brunner Customers all more than welcome and most excited to have a common place to meet and “TALK” yes Voice Channel communication! about Brunner setup, and fine tuning so, if you’re interested look me up on DISCORD by my USERNAME is MrScott#8569 and I will send you an invite. Love to have all who are interested in helping one another get the most out of their Brunner Porducts.

traffic
    Participant

Doing that now. Great idea – thanks MrScott

Yes I was impressed with it being shipped on time: I emailed Brunner on the shipment date and within minutes Daniela had not only replied but the shipping process had begun with UPS – 24 hours later it was up and running!

For an early heads up, the yoke has holes so that in can be screwed into your desk to secure it in place. There is no clamping mechanism. You might not want to drill holes in your desk of course – I don’t mind that but securing it with screws does make it quite a permanent fixture. Possibly mounting it on a sheet of wood which can then be clamped onto your desk might be an alternative? Or maybe just velcro it? lol

Cheers

Traffic

jovabra
    Participant

Hello Traffic
    “Plugged it in, ran PSX, calibrated the CLS-E II and hey presto.

Do you mean the Aerowinx PSX 747 from Hardy Heinlin. Is this on an Imac or a Window system. What about the CLS2sim software interface/connection with the sim?
    Is this in the vJoy mode?
    Regard
    John

traffic
    Participant

Hi jovabra

Yes I tried it first on PSX 747 running it on a Windows 10 pc. I started the CLS2sim software but didn’t see PSX listed so just jumped in without any changes to settings. Haven’t installed the vJoy driver so that’s not selectable. Is that required to use the yoke with PSX? Long way to go to get it working properly but the smoothness and trimming are fantastic so far.

traffic
    Participant

Hi Scott. I’ve downloaded Discord but am at a loss as what to do next! My user name is Traffic747.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BRUNNER Forum​

In the BRUNNER forum you will find various discussions on different topics, such as setup, software use or general questions and concerns. 

Discuss with forum mebers, share your knowledge and experience or find answers to frequently asked questions that are answered directly by our Brunner team.

Go to BRUNNER Forum.

BRUNNER Helpdesk​

Do you have questions about a product you have already purchased or are you facing technical issues? 

Check our FAQs for quick help. The most common questions or problems are described there, including instructions.

If you are still stuck, please contact our BRUNNER Helpdesk. Open a ticket here.

BRUNNER Simulation​

BRUNNER is a leading manufacturer of flight simulation devices for the professional as well as the enthusiast sector.

Unlike other manufacturers, Brunner offers a realistic flight experience with the help of Force Feedback Technology and Control Loading System.

Discover the BRUNNER Shop.

BRUNNER Simulation

Industriestrasse 27
8335 Hittnau

+41 (0)44 953 10 10
info@brunner-innovation.swiss

© 2023 BRUNNER Elektronik AG | Privacy Policy |  Legal notice

🌴 Summer holiday 🌴

Please note: The BRUNNER team is out of office due to company holidays until August 5th.